Sopore's IT student becomes singing sensation; highlights social issues through songs



Khalid Sharif, an IT student-turned singer has become a new musical sensation of North Kashmir, who highlights social issues through his songs.


Talking to the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), Khalid, a 19-year-old youth who hails from Naseem Bagh area of Sopore town in North Kashmir said: “I was interested in music since childhood but there was no platform available. I used to participate in cultural shows in school.”

He said that he initially used to learn basic ethics of music from cell-phone at home and later with the help of his cousin brother he purchased laptop which boosted him to learn more and more about music. “Though it was very hard to convince my parents because they didn't support me initially but I did not loose hope and tried to give my best and finally got the parental support as well", he told KNO.

Khalid released his debut song ‘Feeling High' this year in a restaurant at Sopore town where in various personalities including Rafiq Masoodi and others were present on the occasion.

“Feeling High' seems a song about love but actually is not, the song is all about the problems being faced by a person who has been caged in a situation wherefrom he/she could not come out of the trauma,” said Masoodi

An amateur singer, Khalid has not received any formal training from any musical house or teacher. He learnt singing by watching the videos on the Internet. However, he didn't rule out the support of Shafi Sopori, a Sopore based singer, renowned RJ - Sahil Muzzaffar and particularly his cousin Furqan Janwari who not only helped him but encouraged him throughout his journey.

Unlike other singers who sing to earn, Khalid spends his own money. “I spent from my pocket for my music. I invest my money to popularise music because this is not only music but a message,” he said.

In a message, Khalid said Society should guide, counsel the youth who are indulged or involved in the illegal activities, besides encourage them in such a way that they should not feel abandoned—(KNO)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post